Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Some more Xbox One info.

Post by Pais on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 10:44

Killswitchmad wrote:
Pais wrote:This is from Major Nelson,

M$ won't be charging a fee for trade ins,

You can access all your games on another machine once logged in,

You can't turn Kinect off but you can pause it,you can play games with it paused.

Who thought M$ were charging to trade in?!?! It's the second hand activation fees the Nelson should be talking about....

The second point is pretty cool.

And I can turn Kinect off, pull the plug out. Smile

And if you pull the plug on Kinect then the Xbox won't work Slap

Will be having a good look at what Sony have to say at E3

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 10:53

The Kinect thing is irrelevant, though, surely? You might think that you would get no value from it but whether it's switched on or off is a pointless debate - I don't see what difference it makes.
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 10:58

me either, you need one it comes with it, in 3 years you may wanna use it and its better to have it then not surely?
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:01

Daz190uk wrote:The Kinect thing is irrelevant, though, surely? You might think that you would get no value from it but whether it's switched on or off is a pointless debate - I don't see what difference it makes.

It mostly comes down to the fact that it's always listening and watching mate so the issues are all related to privacy, I read the other day that Australia has classified the Xbox One as a survalence device rather than a console due to the fact that it's constantly monitoring the room it's in...
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:04

can you imagine how many xbox 1's there will be................................. can you imagine the amount of 1080p footage it will take from everyone online at once................... and do you think that can will be stored somewhere!

its going to film me as I play........................... so?

its going to listen to me as I play ........................so?

its going to recognise ppl in my room ..................... oh no Osama Bin Laden is in my room and not really dead............... again so?
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:05

I meant when the console is turned off mate Laughing
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:11

OK it difficult to explain but as an example....

You and the Mrs are watching a film on the TV, the Xbox is turned off. Things start to get a bit heated and you end up getting frisky on the sofa. Now the Xbox is off but Kinect is still watching and listening, now M$ are of course going to be gathering data to improve services so at some points somewhere in the world that footage or sound may eventually be seen/heard by someone.

Now me I have No shame so I could care less but there are people in the world that find that a breach if privacy in a big way....
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:17

They've already confirmed that this will not be the case.

They can't store any data without our permission, that's just basic data protection. They have already said you will be able to choose if you share or not so it won't be mandatory. MS don't want to spy on us... it's just silly really.

What they do want is to know how we're using their devices so they can sell us more stuff.
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by Pagey on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:19

Bottom line is no matter what it can and can't do the majority of us will all have one come Christmas Smile
Pagey
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:21

Killswitchmad wrote:OK it difficult to explain but as an example....

You and the Mrs are watching a film on the TV, the Xbox is turned off. Things start to get a bit heated and you end up getting frisky on the sofa. Now the Xbox is off but Kinect is still watching and listening, now M$ are of course going to be gathering data to improve services so at some points somewhere in the world that footage or sound may eventually be seen/heard by someone.

Now me I have No shame so I could care less but there are people in the world that find that a breach if privacy in a big way....

That's cute that you think this would happen, and someone somewhere would see or hear it.

but that is defo illegal! and the realist thinks if this did happen the amount of law suits and compensation everyone would get would be astronomical.
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:24

re: privacy issues

taken from xbox.com

When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too.

slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:26

Reaper FWG wrote:
Killswitchmad wrote:OK it difficult to explain but as an example....

That's cute that you think this would happen, and someone somewhere would see or hear it.

but that is defo illegal! and the realist thinks if this did happen the amount of law suits and compensation everyone would get would be astronomical.

That's just an example mate, I'm not saying IT IS the case at all, of course I understand that it's illegal and would be malpractice.

All I am pointing out is that the possibility is there....
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Selkie on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:36

slowdog76 wrote:presumably something happened where people kicked up a stink and the decision was reversed though, surely
Had a quick google to refresh my memory. Apparently a company who publishes books that are in the public domain added two to the kindle store (ironically one of them was 1984) but it turns out that they hadn't actually entered the public domain in the US, so Amazon couldn't legally sell them. All this wasn't found out until some time later though, at the time Amazon simply deleted the books and emailed each person saying they'd been refunded.

The privacy is an interesting matter. Essentially it gives police access to millions of potential cameras in suspects homes, provided they can get the proper paperwork. I'm not a criminal, I've nothing to hide etc. but (to make a now cliché Orwell reference) it's effectively a telescreen.
The Selkie
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 11:40

The Selkie wrote:The privacy is an interesting matter. Essentially it gives police access to millions of potential cameras in suspects homes, provided they can get the proper paperwork. I'm not a criminal, I've nothing to hide etc. but (to make a now cliché Orwell reference) it's effectively a telescreen.

That brings up yet another possibility, as the console is "always online" and uses Win8 as it's core software then surely the likelihood is that it could possibly be attacked remotely and Kinect used in a malicious way?
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Selkie on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 12:08

Killswitchmad wrote:
The Selkie wrote:The privacy is an interesting matter. Essentially it gives police access to millions of potential cameras in suspects homes, provided they can get the proper paperwork. I'm not a criminal, I've nothing to hide etc. but (to make a now cliché Orwell reference) it's effectively a telescreen.

That brings up yet another possibility, as the console is "always online" and uses Win8 as it's core software then surely the likelihood is that it could possibly be attacked remotely and Kinect used in a malicious way?
MS have been pretty good with security thus far and given the privacy issues that kinect brings I imagine they'll have a pretty foolproof system in place. Really the only reason for concern is the use by the government, but it's difficult for them to get the required paperwork to surveil you and MS won't be allowing them to unless they're legally obligated. It's a case of people making a mountain out of a molehill.
The Selkie
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dongziller on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 12:42

The problem with kinect for me is how much will it impact the price, i don't want it and will never use it so begrudge being forced to pay an extra 100 for the privilege of it to sit there, of course it all depends how much cost it adds to the console.
Dongziller
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 13:17

Dongziller wrote:The problem with kinect for me is how much will it impact the price, i don't want it and will never use it so begrudge being forced to pay an extra 100 for the privilege of it to sit there, of course it all depends how much cost it adds to the console.

This is pretty much how I feel about it as well.

The license thing isn't such a big issue for me though because as it has been noted it is similar in practice to what Valve do with Steam. The big difference on this will be price though - Steam generally offers great value for money with occasionally sales that offer some games at superb prices. I cannot see this happening on the XB1 - the pessimist in me feels that MS will want to continue to charge (at the least) current console game prices for a license.....

The connecting every 24 hours bit is just a killer for me though as I take my console away with me on hols. in the country and never have a viable internet connection available. I am sure MS will come up with a fudged fix for this but it will only be through gritted teeth as they really want you console connected all the time - how can you access all the awesome TV features and Skype and DOMINATE!! in your fantasy sports leagues if you aren't constantly on the net?

N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 13:19

The kinnect for me is the worst part of the lot.

Would anyone set up a camera and microphone in the living room and allow the information generated by it to be sold to advertisers so they can target you with ads? Also the whole thing is aimed at being a media hub so will be on whenever you are watching TV and netflix as well.

"Hey Duke, I heard you talking about pizza - do you want the local Domnio's number?"

"Hey Duke, I notice you have been sat playing games for the last 12 hours - do you want the number for Deep vein thrombosis helpline"

"Hey Duke, you just watched advert X on tv, do you know its available at these stores?"

"Hey duke your BMI is quite high - here are some local gyms"

"Hey Duke, I heard you arguing with your wife, here are the numbers of local florist"

These may sound stupid but if the information is being generated and sent to M$ then advertisers would be interested in it to target ads - your whole life would be used like google key words.

Added to this is the recent revelation that the NSA is harvesting ALL data from m$ and want backdoors put into all communication software would mean that privacy would be non-existant.

As I think I have mentioned none of these features add to my gaming experience (and infact always on could seriously harm it) all they do is add to M$ bottom line. Living without my 360 for the last 12 months has made me realize that I wouldn't miss not getting the new one.
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 13:23

I have to agree with Selkie, this privacy stuff is getting a bit over the top. There are laws that protect us if you're that concerned!

Pricing is a hot topic though. I would question that assumption that everything is cheap on Steam though. It's not. Games retail on Steam for the same as in-store, occasionally a little more, and only get discounted over time or in a sale. I expect the MS system will be similar with new games at £39.99/£44.99 and sales as they did a couple of months ago with cheap older games.
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 14:03

At least with all the talk we're having about next gen we ain't having the usual 'CoD-are you getting it' topics.

I've read somewhere online (can't remember site) that if your watching a film with 6 mates Kinect will detect everyone in room and stop film until you pay an extra license. Something about stopping pubs/clubs doing film nights on cheap.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Toasted Cylon on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 14:03

I just don't want Kinect, full stop & end of story. I think there should be an SKU sold that doesn't have it.
Toasted Cylon
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by The Selkie on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 14:06

Pais wrote:At least with all the talk we're having about next gen we ain't having the usual 'CoD-are you getting it' topics.

I've read somewhere online (can't remember site) that if your watching a film with 6 mates Kinect will detect everyone in room and stop film until you pay an extra license. Something about stopping pubs/clubs doing film nights on cheap.
Is 6 the magic number? I knew they'd implement this for some figure to stop people using it for large audiences, but 6 seems a tad low. Luckily for me I don't have 5 friends so it shouldn't be an issue.
The Selkie
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dongziller on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 15:53

Just read on ign you wont be able to rent games anymore, sad times
Dongziller
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 15:56

its all here... from the horses mouth

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

I dont think it specifically mentions rentals but the way it sounds possibly not.. at least not from the off. That said I dont see any reason they strike deals with renters so that rented games can be activated.

HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 16:05

"In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

So they've just palmed the blame onto publishers......
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 16:42

Dont panic - some industry analysts have said publishers wont do this...

Presumably said analysts are not aware of publishers such as EA Smile
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top