Eidos president says next Xbox will use "watermarked discs" and will block used games....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eidos president says next Xbox will use "watermarked discs" and will block used games....

Post by Killswitchmad on Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 21:46

Tensions were high during the PS4 Press Conference for some of us, partially because we were all waiting for word to come down from the Sony Gods as to how they would be treating used games in the next generation. Sony, for their part, neither elaborated their distaste or gave the 100% go-ahead. Their philosophy seemed to be “Hey...we're going to try offering you all the old games you want streaming the instant you sit down through Gaikai. You won't even WANT to go to the store to buy them used.”

This is all well and good provided the streaming service, whether it be per-game or monthly fee, comes out at a price significantly less than buying the games new. That is the whole point, really. We buy used games because they're cheaper...not because they're used.

Microsoft might be carving their own path, however. If a recent interview with Eidos president Ian Livingstone has any validity, the Redmond based company might be taking a harsher, salt the earth approach.

“With the next Xbox, you have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another," Livingston said. "So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

The idea that Microsoft would go it alone in their quest to keep people from playing used games is perplexing to me...especially since it would simply mean people flocking to a more open system. A system that could be run by their number one competitor in this market...Sony. Microsoft will also have to figure out how this process would work when someone buys a new console for themselves...or maybe just want two in the home. Will two copies of a game need to be purchased? Will there be an Online Pass type of “Used Game Pass” that one will have to purchase to open the game up to more consoles? Personally, a Used Game Pass is something I think we'll be seeing sooner than we think.

Of course, Microsoft isn't doing this completely within a bubble. Right now they're prepping for a Steam Sale-esque sale of their own through their Xbox Games on Demand service. The sale is going on now through March 4th and has some impressive titles on the list. These are not throwaway games no one wants. Rather Microsoft is beginning to treat this service in the same way they should from the beginning; as a cheaper alternative to purchasing physical copies of games. Up until now titles on the service cost as much as store-bought versions which has caused it to, quite reasonably, languish in the dust bin of XBLA.

Again....we don't buy used games because they're used. We buy them because they're cheaper. Valve has understood this from the very beginning.

Out of the two big players here, Microsoft and Sony, my gut reaction is that Sony has it right. Do not assuage yourself from the used games market, however give gamers a different approach. By offering a competitive choice, Sony may come out on top. Microsoft may be doing themselves a world of hurt by spurning the consumer as a first step.
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Re: Eidos president says next Xbox will use "watermarked discs" and will block used games....

Post by Dongziller on Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 22:16

Commercial suicide
Dongziller
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Re: Eidos president says next Xbox will use "watermarked discs" and will block used games....

Post by N1NJA FWG on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 0:13

Agreed. All Sony need to do now to clean up next gen is resist doing the same thing.

N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 6:59

Microfail if that is the case

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluemaniacGrant on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 8:09

Depends how they impliment it tbh, it does sound quite final, as in one game per xbox end off, however he may have been misinterprited because to be honest i cant see them being that stupid, for example, all of you lovley people who like paying a couple of quid a month to 'lovefilm'...
Borowing/buying Used games and 'renting' games is what makes it affordable for most people, it'll be the developers of the smaller titles this would probably hit harder as more people will just but the big ones as money wont stretch as far.

I mean god forbid this does happen but if it does jamie may have to play with only a decent UltimateTeam as he'll be spending his money on games instead of points Very Happy
BluemaniacGrant
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 8:45

This system could spell the end for rentals with the likes of LF and Blockbuster and that in itself is bad for developers as they do get a royalty from these services.

Tom raised an interesting suggestion and I agree with it and that is that devs will no longer include an online pass with a game but will instead sell 'used game' passes - not everyone plays online so buying used makes no odds as they have no need for an online pass but having a used pass would mean everyone would have to cough up regardless of whether you want to play single or multiplayer......

The always on internet connection thing really bothers me though - I take my 360 away with me on holiday and rarely ever have a net connection so that would end that for me.

N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 9:24

Grant,Grant,Grant i do you know me at all lol

i buy all the games on release that i want regardless so thbis wont really bother me, only if i cant trade them in at Blockbuster and that just means ill have to quote you 'Million' not of internet but games ill never play again.

if it is true and sony dont do it id just get a playstation 4.
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 18:14

Scratch The following was in Official 360 mag (which i already posted in the 'New Xbox' thread)-

'Take all this with a pinch of salt, as ever. From where we're sitting, walling-out pre-owned and insisting on a broadband connection would be madness - broadband penetration isn't nearly comprehensive enough to justify such a move, and 'requiring' consumers to do anything is a fine way to ensure they take their custom elsewhere..........'These consoles are going to be sat next to each other in stores, next to each other in extremely expensive TV spots, and jockeying for any possible advantage in a marketplace that will still be marked by austerity.
'The next Xbox needs to be amazing, and affordable, and something that you want to love and hold possibly forever - the ultimate living-room device from which all entertainment springs.
'To do that, it needs to appeal to absolutely everybody - gamers in the first instance, but kids and grandparents as well.
'And always-online and no second-hand would be poison to that.'

So who is right? Are Eidos secretly in bed with SONY? Did the M$ employee release that info to put people off the scent? Are we all gonna keep saying 'I'm getting PS4' then a month later 'I'm getting 720'?

Personally I'm hoping M$ get things right and release a cheap(er),reliable machine that will at least play bloody games. I bet we still wont get all the details at E3 either.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top